Hey family and friends,
This past week was pretty interesting. Elder Wismer and I
spent a lot of time going around the Lakeland area. I learned several
interesting things about the area.
The downtown part of Lakeland looks a lot like a miniature Tampa.
There are two colleges in the area.
There is a bunch of neighborhoods where people will take pamphlets
and stuff.
There are a few big lakes in our area.
We began the week off by going to District meeting. It was
quite a spiritual meeting and a good time to get expectations for the district
out there. Then it was time to go back out into the heat and try to talk
to people. Over golf cart pathways and cobblestone streets we walked and
yet not many people were interested. One guy was bumping some cool Latin
music and he accepted a Book of Mormon card.
One day we went to a neighborhood with a lot of low income
houses. Everyone there either wants to bash with you or they will accept
some material from the Church and then will meet the missionaries next month
and not remember it most likely. It is quite interesting. The big
lake I aforementioned is big. It is called Lake Hollingsworth and takes
residence in the middle of our area. Lots of people go jogging and
walking around it.
There are quite a few streets with cobblestones in the (i.e bricks
and stones). It is quite fun walking around on them because it feels a
little like a European street. There are quite a few 1930's building
about with their cool dark red brick colors and old architecture. I
definitely need to come back to a theater they have here and hopefully see some
good musicals.
Lakeland, like River City, is quite a tough spot to find people
who will progress. Yes, the territory is interesting here but so far they have
not sang any songs and I certainly have not been running around talking about
creating a marching band for boys (I am referencing a movie called The Music
Man here). It has not been raining that much so I have not been able to
sing in the rain lately. I hope to end my mission here because it is a
cool looking area.
The ward / branch is amazing as always. They love the
missionaries a lot. Bishop Bainbridge wants to take us out to lunch when
he gets back. A less - active guy came to church yesterday, learned what
he needed to do to change his life, agreed with it for a while, and then did an
about face and gave up on becoming temple worthy.
As a district (all the Elders) we went mini-golfing today.
Yes, I am not nearly as good as Tiger Woods. I hit my golf ball so hard
it flew into the water and we had to rescue it. Due to my lack of golfing
I did not do so well but it was quite fun nonetheless.
According to Elder Mangum Fast and testimony meeting yesterday
went over thirty five minutes because President Bailey and a whole bunch of
other members gave their testimonies of missionary work. The Highlands
ward seems to be growing much more missionary minded. Lakeland ward is
small and just needs to grow or it will be dissolved as a unit.
This week we will have Zone Conference so we should hear some good
stuff from President Cooper. I love you all and hope you have a great
week,
Love,
Elder Fabricius
Scriptures:
3 Nephi 11:10-17
Isaiah 40:28-31